Saturday, August 6, 2011

One-day itinerary in Shanghai


If you only got a day to see Shanghai, where would you go? If you're an easy go lucky type of traveler, not rushing here and there to see as many things as you can, I say go to East Nanjing Road, to do your shopping and some sight-seeing. Then try Oriental Pearl Tower, there's already a lot of modern architectural designs you'd be able to see. During my trip in China, I only had a day to spend in Shanghai. The China travel, an official one, was spent mostly in Hangzhou. However, because I have to fly from Shanghai back home, I booked a day in Shanghai basically to have a look and see.

I booked at a 3-star hotel near the Bund - it's FX Hotel Shanghai on the Bund. It 's located within the heart of the city. It's quite a value for money for its location -located just 3 minutes from the East Nanjing subway station. You would get around the city easily if you stay near any subway station. Anyway, I just walked from my hotel to East Nanjing road and walked almost the entire stretch of it. Then I went to Oriental Pearl Tower and have seen a lot.
To go to East Nanjing Rd. from the hotel, walk out from the side of the hotel where the convenience store is (yes, there's a convenience store at the ground floor), walk to your left and turn right on the first corner. Then walk straight until you see the colorful East Nanjing Road. There are many shops there - souvenir shops, electronics, silk, jade, banks for exchanging money (passport needed), branded clothing. There is also Uniqlo there, my favorite. Walk through and you'll see People's Square. The entire stretch can already occupy your whole day if you allow it, I strolled through from 11 in the morning until about 4 in the afternoon.


After East Nanjing Road, I recommend Oriental Pearl TV Tower, not only because it is a major attraction but also because it is located where many other attractions are also located. You can also ride the Huangpu River cruise after if you like. There's also a revolving restaurant in the tower. To go there, get to subway Line 2 (East Nanjing Station for instance), then alight at Lujiazui Station and follow the signs. Here's a view from the tower.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...