Friday, June 1, 2012

Bohol churches

Baclayon Church interior
I was born from a province up north where old churches are within arm’s length and huge centuries-old altar was a weekly sight. Yet I still found churches in Bohol artistically enticing and welcoming. And so my camera feasted on its beautiful interiors. I take you back centuries ago with these photographs I took of Bohol’s historic churches. 
The Baclayon Church (1st, 2nd and 3rd photo) was our first destination when we got to Bohol. While for me the altar lacks the grandiosity of Cebu’s Basilica de Sto. Nino, its interior is nonetheless charmingly old. I really love the chandeliers looming against the faded blue ceiling of the church. I remember our church in Magsingal, a town located north of Vigan, what it used to be when I was a child. It had majestic chandeliers, in vivid red colors. Sadly, these have been taken down. Even the interior walls made of bricks which used to exude that old Spanish era feeling have now been covered with newer wall finishing. And so I envy Bohol for it has preserved its churches quite well.

  Baclayon Church 2Baclayon Church

The photos below show the Dauis Church in Panglao Island. It houses a well, with water known for its healing powers, that has been there for centuries, and it always had water in it. We took several bottles of this water and it tasted fresh despite its being located near the seashore. If you go there, don't forget to leave donation for better preservation of the church and the well. At dusk, the bell tower looks so scenic. Just beside the church are a cafe and a local souvenir shop. There are locally-made accessories and religious items.  Dauis Church Bohol Dauis Church Bohol 2 Dauis Church Bohol 3
Just across the main station of the Loboc river cruise is St. Peter the Apostle Church. For me, it has the aura of Paoay Church. It’s a pity though that we were quite in a hurry so we weren’t able to drop by and sneak in.  Also, the church has an enormous bell tower just across the street where we candidly took photos as well.
Saint Peter's ChurchSaint Peter's Church Bell tower

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...